Monday 21 June 2010

The Unspoken Truth

I'm female and I have a ridiculously high sex drive.

There, I've said it.

Shocked? Why? Why is it an unspoken rule that it's ok for men to love sex and masturbation, but not for women? Guys moan that women don't love it, but if you do, you are deemed filthy. It's utter madness. Sex and procreation are part of why we exist on this earth. It's free and it's fabulous so what's the big deal? 

I had a great Sunday roast yesterday (the food type - clean your mind out for a second) with a couple of friends. Another girl joined us a little later whom I had never met before. She was lovely and I continued with my general verbal stream of my crazy week and existence. 

I was mid-story as she arrived and the topic of this particular thread was that my contraceptive pill has been changed and it's sent me absolutely wild. My hormones are flying around like a kite trapped in a tornado and I absolutely cannot seem to gather myself. As I walk down the street, I'm thinking "Oooh, he's lovely...would I? Maybe not, but the guy behind him...woooHOOO!". Now you may laugh, but this is serious, I can't watch the TV, walk down the street or go to the pub without my eyes locking onto someone who gets the 'would I, wouldn't I' analysis. I can't sleep, I can't rest and I really shouldn't be left on my own in the house for too long.

The thing that makes this so amusing is the reaction of my close friends with whom I have shared my current predicament. The girls blush, squeal, roar with laughter and mock embarrassment (like they have never even considered such a thought, let alone acted upon it...ahem...really...?!) and the boys have bulging eyes, start by glaring, then laughing, then they move a seat closer. 

Just for clarification boys, my standards haven't changed, just the strength of my desire, so there's really no need to contact me offering rehabilitation services.

So why are we so very prudish on these issues? My pregnant friends feel that it's ok to talk about leaking, cracked nipples and thrush, my gay friends openly talk about visits to the local 'park' and my married friends happily recount the fabulous orgasm that their husbands provided last Saturday, so why isn't it ok for me to say that I have a raging sex drive? 

I'm single, that's why. We are this odd group who stand out from all others. We have no annual parade or midnight walk for charity, we don't meet once a week to share our lives at an antenatal group and we don't get annual opportunities to celebrate a single anniversary. Support of any sort is not deemed necessary for us Singles.

It's amazing how many social groups you can fit into these days; for religion, colour, sexual orientation, marriage, for having children, for being under 18 or over 65, for sport, for knitting even, but not for being single. Any groups associated with being single are sneered at (dating sites, singles bars) for being weird, but why? because they are frequented by crusty old men hunting out a filly for sordid frolics. Why don't we cater to this fabulous generation of 20/30/40/50/60- somethings who are single?

Once a week I have a dinner at my place for all of my single friends. It's a great chance to get together and share our comedy stories without the eyes of those un-singled upon us. It's hysterical, heart-warming, honest and fabulous.

Seriously guys, you don't know what you're missing...I say we celebrate our singledom and shout from the roof tops that we are hot-blooded, fun, fabulous and are not labelled into a group. And why on earth shouldn't we be?

Right, i'm off...if you don't hear from me with a day or two, please come and remove me from bed before I wear myself out.

No comments: