Wednesday 30 June 2010

The Hunting Season in London

My office is based in Covent Garden, London, however, when I developed epilepsy a couple of years ago, I gave up the dreaded commute in favour of more sleep and started to work from home. I do still like to pop into the London office at least once a month as it gives me an opportunity to touch base with my fabulous colleagues and also gives me an excuse to pop into London.

Whenever i'm heading into town, it's a great excuse to glam up a bit (as opposed to my usual daily outfit of linen trousers, a vest top and a cardy with slipper socks...) so I always wear a cute little business dress (varying shapes/ lengths/ colours depending on the weather), neck-breaking high heals and a smart jacket. I do this for two reasons:

1. Because I actually believe that it's lovely to make an effort to dress well in the office as it creates a great working environment. Old fashioned, I know, but that's how I feel.

2. Because, in all honesty, I actually use my little jaunts to London as a pulling exercise.
It's all very well being single in Brighton, but we have to be honest here, i'm one of a few. Most here have arrived either smug-married, smug-engaged or smug-co-habiting to live out their harmonious coupledom bliss by the sea, or they are single and gay. It's all very well right now, as i'm an old Fag Hag Pro and the lifestyle here is made for me: lashings of vocal house and pop music, disco balls a plenty (both above and below the waist band), glamour that would knock the socks off London Fashion Week and a town dripping in fake tan and feathers. All very well, but this offers little opportunity to meet 'Mr Right for Me'.

So, approximately once a month, off I pop on my little jaunts to London to check out the commuting talent. I'm not looking for someone who actually lives in London as there's not a chance I would spend any degree of social time here when I have the World on my doorstep in Brighton, i'm looking for a commuter. My in-depth analysis has tells me that:

1. If he's commuting, he's employed
2. If he's on the early morning Brighton train or the late train heading home, he either lives in Brighton, or has friends here
Now this is where I hit the main stumbling block: How can I tell if he is single? This is really tough. Less and less people are married these days, so the old 'is he wearing a wedding ring' just doesn't apply any more. Whether or not he eyes me up is also a false indicator, as there are a zillion sleaze bags that perve on the way to and from work. So how to tell? I can't strike up a conversation with every guy I see, so this is what I am proposing:

From this point forth, all single men who are not gay, bi or bi-curious, should be given a wrist band when they purchase their train ticket. It would be a bright colour and should be worn for the duration of the journey, indicating singledom. The train companies could add on a fee of say, 50p, for this service, with the 50p (or at least 25p) being donated to a charity (say something for single women that can't afford Jimmy Choos or need to buy Atkins supplements).

I'm going to look into the feasibility of this plan tonight and will post an update when I have one. If I can't get the train companies on board, watch out for me at Brighton station handing out wrist bands.

No comments: